Jump to navigation Jump to search
- snow + -man.
- (score of eight; card ranked eight): A typical snowman, built from two balls of snow, resembles a figure eight.
snowman (plural snowmen)
- A humanoid figure made with large snowballs stacked on each other. Human traits like a face and arms may be fashioned with sticks (arms), a carrot (nose), and stones or coal (eyes, mouth).
- (baseball, golf) A score of eight, especially within one inning (in baseball) or on one hole (in golf, where it is also known as dogballs).
- 1996 June 3, Buster Olney, “Chat with Sparky helps 'useless' Johnson Dejected O's manager gets lift from ex-Tigers boss”, in The Baltimore Sun (quoting B. J. Surhoff):
- [The Angels] dropped a snowman early on us [Saturday] and we built a snowman early too.
- 2005 June 26, Dayton Daily News, page 44:
- "Then they dropped a snowman (8) on us and did it pretty quick," Narron said. "Then Stone had to stay out there and suck it up for us […] "
- 2018, Andre Huu, The Round of Your Life: A Book on Golf and Life, Archway Publishing, →ISBN:
- For me, another blow-up score of a snowman, 8, seems about right on this hole.
- (slang) A playing card with the rank of eight.
- (rare) An attractive but heartless man.
- Coordinate term: ice queen
- 1961, John D. Loudermilk (lyrics and music), “The Great Snowman”:
- A few years ago there lived a lover
By the name of Jimmy Jones
Who really snowed the girls and left them cold
And gained the title of "The Great Snowman".
figure made of snow
- Michael Wiesenberg (2000) The Official Dictionary of Poker, MGI/Mike Caro University, →ISBN
- English terms suffixed with -man
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/əʊmæn/2 syllables
- Rhymes:English/oʊmæn/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English nouns with irregular plurals
- English terms with quotations
- English slang
- English terms with rare senses
- en:Winter activities