Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Loud; shrill, piercing, high-pitched; rough-sounding
- The trumpet sounded strident against the string orchestra.
- Grating or obnoxious
- The artist chose a strident mixture of colors.
- (nonstandard) Vigorous; making strides
2003, November 6, “Stuart Cosgrove”, in Taylor slagging Saddam shame., Glasgow:
- Under David Taylor's stewardship, the SFA has made strident progress.
strident (plural stridents)
- (linguistics) One of a class of s-like fricatives produced by an airstream directed at the upper teeth.
- Strident; producing a high-pitched or piercing sound.
- “strident” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).