Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
sump (plural sumps)
- A hollow or pit into which liquid drains, such as a cesspool, cesspit or sink.
- The lowest part of a mine shaft into which water drains.
- A completely flooded cave passage, sometimes passable by diving.
- (automotive) The crankcase or oil reservoir of an internal combustion engine.
- (nautical) The pit at the lowest point in a circulating or drainage system (FM 55-501).
- (construction) An intentional depression around a drain or scupper that promotes drainage.
hollow or pit
lowest part of a mine shaft
completely flooded cave passage
(nautical) pit at the lowest point
(construction) intentional depression
- (transitive) Of a cave passage, to end in a sump, or to fill completely with water on occasion.
- We discovered a new passage, but it sumped after 100 metres.
- This low passage sumps quickly after moderate rainfall.
to end in a sump
- swamp (type of wetland)