Jump to navigation Jump to search
tympan (plural tympans)
- (printing) A piece of cloth padding placed under the platen of a letterpress to distribute the pressure on the sheet being printed.
- (music) The stretched membrane of a drum.
- (music) A percussion instrument consisting of a hollow cylinder with such a membrane at each end.
- (architecture) A tympanum.
tympan m (plural tympans)
- (anatomy) eardrum
- (anatomy) middle ear
- (architecture) tympanum
- (historical) treadwheel, treadmill
- (by extension) hydraulic wheel
- (dated or literary, music) various percussion instruments, such as gongs, tympans, tambourines, etc.
- (printing) tympan