Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (architecture) A triangular space between the sides of a pediment.
- (architecture) The space within an arch, and above a lintel or a subordinate arch, spanning the opening below the arch.
- The middle ear.
- The eardrum.
- A hearing organ in frogs, toads and some insects.
- (engineering) A drum-shaped wheel with spirally curved partitions by which water is raised to the axis when the wheel revolves with the lower part of the circumference submerged; used for raising water, as for irrigation.
- 2005, Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty, Bloomsbury Publishing, paperback, page 9
- It was a black-and-white picture of a Romanesque doorway, with flanking saints and a lively Last Judgement in the tympanum [...].
triangular space between the sides of a pediment
middle ear — see middle ear
eardrum — see eardrum
Second declension neuter.