Cognate with Scots tade, taid, taed, ted (“toad”). Compare also Danish tudse (“toad”), possibly originally from the same prehistoric root; also Swedish tåssa, tossa (“toad”), Old English tāxe (“toad”), Old English tosca (“toad”) by contrast.
- (General American) IPA(key): /toʊd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /təʊd/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊd
- Homophones: toed, towed
toad (plural toads)
- An amphibian, a kind of frog (order Anura) with shorter hindlegs and a drier, wartier skin, many in family Bufonidae.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, H.L. Brækstad, transl., Folk and Fairy Tales, page 149:
- Shortly he heard the trolls coming. They had a fiddler with them, and some began dancing, while others fell to eating the Christmas fare on the table - some fried bacon, and some fried frogs and toads, and other nasty things which they had brought with them.
- 1971, Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger & John Densmore, "Riders on the Storm", The Doors, L.A. Woman.
- There's a killer on the road / His brain is squirmin' like a toad
- (derogatory) A contemptible or unpleasant person.
- (derogatory) An ugly person.
- Amargosa toad (Anaxyrus nelsoni)
- American toad (Anaxyrus americanus)
- Arizona toad (Anaxyrus microscaphus)
- arroyo toad (Anaxyrus californicus)
- black toad (Anaxyrus exsul)
- burrowing toads (Rhinophrynus spp.)
- Canadian toad (Anaxyrus hemiophrys)
- Central American toads (Ollotis spp.)
- cane toad (Rhinella marina)
- Colorado River toad (Ollotis alvaria)
- European toad (Bufo bufo)
- fire-bellied toad (Bombina) spp.)
- Fowler's toad (Anaxyrus fowleri)
- frog and toad
- Great Plains toad (Anaxyrus cognatus)
- Gulf Coast toad (Ollotis nebulifer)
- green toad (Anaxyrus debilis)
- horned toad (Ceratophrys)
- Houston toad (Anaxyrus houstonensis)
- marine toad (Rhinella marina)
- mephitic toad (Bufo calamita)
- narrow-mouthed toads (Gastrophryne)
- North American toads (Anaxyrus spp.)
- oak toad (Anaxyrus quercicus)
- pebble toad (Oreophrynella nigra)
- red-spotted toad (Anaxyrus punctatus)
- rush toad (Bufo calamita)
- sea toad
- Sonoran Desert toad (Ollotis alvaria)
- South American toads (Rhinella spp.)
- southern toad (Anaxyrus terrestris)
- Texas toad (Anaxyrus speciosus)
- toad bug (Gelastocoridae spp.)
- toad rush (Juncus bufonius)
- tree toad (Pedostibes)
- walking toad (Bufo calamita)
- Urungu toad
- western toad (Anaxyrus boreas)
- Woodhouse's toad (Anaxyrus woodhousii)
- Wyoming toad (Anaxyrus baxteri)
- Yosemite toad (Anaxyrus canorus)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (Internet, informal, transitive) To expel (a user) permanently from a MUD or similar system, so that their account is deleted.