Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɨˈstɹɪbjuːt/, /ˈdɪstɹɨbjuːt/
- (General American) enPR: dĭ-strĭbʹyo͞ot, IPA(key): /dɪˈstɹɪbjut/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪbjuːt, -ɪstɹɪbjuːt
- Hyphenation: dis‧trib‧ute
- (transitive) To divide into portions and dispense.
- He distributed the bread amongst his followers.
- (transitive) To supply to retail outlets.
- The agency distributes newspapers to local shops.
- (transitive) To deliver or pass out.
- A network of children distributes flyers to every house.
- (transitive) To scatter or spread.
- I raked the soil then distributed grass seed.
- (transitive) To apportion (more or less evenly).
- The robot's six legs distributed its weight over a wide area.
- (transitive) To classify or separate into categories.
- The database distributed verbs into transitive and intransitive segments.
- (intransitive, mathematics) To be distributive.
- (printing) To separate (type which has been used) and return it to the proper boxes in the cases.
- (printing) To spread (ink) evenly, as upon a roller or a table.
- (logic) To employ (a term) in its whole extent; to take as universal in one premise.
- A term is said to be distributed when it is taken universal, so as to stand for everything it is capable of being applied to.
- (to divide into portions and dispense): allot, dispend, parcel out; see also Thesaurus:distribute
- (to deliver or pass out): courier
- (to scatter or spread): disperse, sparble, strew; see also Thesaurus:disperse
- (to classify or separate into categories): categorize, sort; see also Thesaurus:classify
to distribute — see disperse
to divide into portions and dispense
to supply to retail outlets
to deliver or pass out
to scatter or spread
to classify or separate into categories
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- distribute in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- distribute in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- distribute in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
- Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, 1st edition. (Oxford University Press)