undertaking (plural undertakings)
- The business of an undertaker, or the management of funerals
- A promise or pledge; a guarantee
- That which is undertaken; any business, work, or project which a person engages in, or attempts to perform; an enterprise
- The act of one who undertakes (in either sense)
- Antonym: overtaking (transport)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for undertaking in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)