Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Vanilla
- (countable) Any tropical, climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla (especially Vanilla planifolia), bearing podlike fruit yielding an extract used in flavoring food or in perfumes.
- (countable) The fruit or bean of the vanilla plant.
- Synonym: vanilla bean
- (uncountable) The extract of the fruit of the vanilla plant.
- Synonym: vanilla extract
- (uncountable) The distinctive fragrant flavour/flavor characteristic of vanilla extract.
- (uncountable) Any artificially produced homologue of vanilla extract, principally vanillin produced from lignin from the paper industry or from petrochemicals.
- Synonym: imitation vanilla
- (countable, sexuality, slang) Someone who is not into fetishism; a normophile
- A yellowish-white colour, like that of vanilla ice cream.
- vanilla colour:
- (of flavor, etc.) Of vanilla.
- 2004, David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas:
- A mass of folders and binders. One, vanilla in colour, catches her eye.
- (colloquial, chiefly computing, retronym) Standard, plain, default, unmodified, basic.
- 2001, "Michael Foot", BeebIt 0.32 and BBCFiles 0.29 released (on newsgroup comp.sys.acorn.announce)
- BBCFiles is a BBC file converter that converts between some of the various types of files used by BBC emulators on Acorn & PC formats. It supports 6502Em style applications & scripts, /ssd dfs disc images (supporting watford double catalogue), vanilla directories, /zip of bbc files with /inf files (with limitations) and directory of bbc files with /inf files.
- (sexuality) Not kinky, not involving BDSM.
- 2006, Felix Lance Falkon, Gay Art: A Historic Collection, →ISBN, page 136:
- An uncharacteristically vanilla threesome and non-cute realist rendering - derived paradoxically from tracing drawings rather than photographs.
- 2010, Chloe Stowe, Hard Water, →ISBN, page 37:
- While Dominick was more of a vanilla kind of a guy himself, he wasn't a total dunce when it came to the kinkier sides of things.
- 2014, Christina Thacher, The Negotiation: A BDSM Romance, →ISBN:
- Sebastian could never do that, be in a marriage with a vanilla woman.
- Plain; conventional; unimaginative.
declension of vanilla