- A quaint and fanciful idea; a whim; playfully odd behaviour.
- the whimsies of poets and painters
- Jonathan Swift
- men's folly, whimsies, and inconstancy.
- mistaking the whimseys of a feverish brain for the calm revelation of truth
2012 May 27, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “New Kid On The Block” (season 4, episode 8; originally aired 11/12/1992)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- It’s a lovely sequence cut too short because the show seems afraid to give itself over to romance and whimsy and wistfulness when it has wedgie jokes to deliver.
- An impulsive, illogical or capricious character.
- (mining) A whim (capstan or vertical drum).
- A jigsaw puzzle piece that has been cut into a recognizable shape, as if on a whim; often the shape is representative of the theme of the image used for the puzzle.
- "Dori, you have to solve this puzzle!" "Sure, right away doctor. Quality construction... clean edges. Oh, a whimsy!" (Television show Children's Hospital, Season 7, Episode 2, 2016)