Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A spoon made from wood, commonly used in food preparation.
- (idiomatic) An ironic prize for finishing last in a competition.
- (Cambridge University slang, dated) The last junior optime who takes a university degree.
- We submit that a wooden spoon of our day would not be justified in calling Galileo and Napier blockheads because they never heard of the differential calculus.
- (US, college slang, dated) The lowest appointee of the junior year; sometimes, one especially popular in his class, without reference to scholarship. Formerly, it was a custom for classmates to present to this person a wooden spoon with formal ceremonies.
spoon made from wood