Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle Dutch solen, suelen, sollen, sullen, from Old Dutch *sulan, from Proto-West Germanic *skulan, from Proto-Germanic *skulaną. Compare German sollen, English shall, Danish skulle.
- (auxiliary, present tense) Used to form the future tense of a verb, together with an infinitive; will, going to
- Het zal toch niet werken.
- It will not work anyway.
- Dat zal niet gebeuren.
- That will not happen.
- (auxiliary, past tense) Used to form the conditional mood of a verb, together with an infinitive; would
- Het werk zou nu af zijn geweest als jij je niet had verslapen.
- The work would have been finished now if you hadn't overslept.
- Dat zou ik niet doen als ik jou was.
- I would not do that if I were you.
- (modal auxiliary) Used to indicate intent or disposition to perform an action in the future: will, shall, be going to, may, might
- Het zou vandaag regenen.
- It was going to rain today.
- Zal ik eerst gaan?
- Shall I go first?
Although there are two conjugated forms for the second person in the present, there is no preferred or more common form as both are used and understood universally throughout the Dutch-speaking world. One or the other may be preferred only in certain regions but even there both are used interchangeably.
|Inflection of zullen (preterite-present)|
|present tense||past tense|
|1st person singular||zal||zou|
|2nd person sing. (jij)||zult, zal||zou|
|2nd person sing. (u)||zult, zal||zou|
|2nd person sing. (gij)||zult||zoudt|
|3rd person singular||zal||zou|
- Dutch terms derived from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms inherited from Old Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Frankish
- Dutch terms inherited from Frankish
- Dutch terms derived from Proto-West Germanic
- Dutch terms inherited from Proto-West Germanic
- Dutch terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- Dutch terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- Dutch terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- Dutch terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Rhymes:Dutch/ʏlən/2 syllables
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch verbs
- Dutch auxiliary verbs
- Dutch terms with usage examples
- Dutch preterite-present verbs
- Dutch basic verbs