In this simplified form, this character consists of 玉, the Chinese character for jade (or precious stone or gem) (representing the emperor), enclosed by the character meaning "erect," "proud," or "upright". In the Kangxi Dictionary of 1716 the character 国 is not included, but other characters like 囯, 囶 and 圀 are, as well as a character made up of three 秦. 國 is the original character.
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 218, character 4
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 4752
- Dae Jaweon: page 446, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 716, character 7
- Unihan data for U+56FD
|For pronunciation and definitions of 国 – see 國.
(This term, 国, is the simplified form of 國.)
The on'yomi is used in compounds like 国語 (こくご, Kokugo: "national language", i.e. Japanese) or 中国 (ちゅうごく, Chūgoku: China; the Chūgoku region of central Japan). In many compounds where the 国 character does not come first, koku changes to goku due to rendaku (連濁).
|Kanji in this term|
- a land, a large place
- a country in general, a region
- a country as in a nation, a state
- the office of emperor, the crown; affairs of state
- a province of ancient Japan
- the national government in ancient Japan; the national capital in ancient Japan
- one's birthplace
- (a land): 大地 (だいち, daichi), 土地 (とち, tochi), 陸地 (りくち, rikuchi)
- (nation): 国家 (こっか, kokka), 国土 (こくど, kokudo)
- (ancient national government): 国府 (こくふ, kokufu)
- (birthplace): 出生地 (しゅっしょうち, shusshōchi), 生国 (しょうごく, shōgoku), 故郷 (ふるさと, furusato; こきょう, kokyō)
- ^ 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, ISBN 978-4-14-011112-3
- This entry needs a definition. Please add one, then remove