Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Ayo
- 1 English
- 2 Classical Nahuatl
- 3 Hiligaynon
- 4 Indonesian
- 5 Portuguese
- 6 Spanish
- 7 Yoruba
- (African American Vernacular, informal) A greeting.
2004, Michael Daniel Baptiste, Cracked Dreams, page 73:
- "Ayo, Red. It's the homie Spits on the jack for you, blood." "Ayo, homeboy," said Red as he excitedly picked up the telephone receiver. "What's up, fool?"
2007, Reginald L. Hall, In Love with a Thug, page 38:
- “Ayo, wassup, girl,” he said to Keisha as he continued to walk toward the back area where I stood. ... “Ayo, wassup, playa?
2007, Tony J. Ward, Jr., I've Got to Make It to Heaven for Going Through Hell: Part 1, page 39:
- Ayo Toine, you think they'd put me down?
2007, Nikki Turner, Christmas in the Hood, page 289:
- "Ayo, fam, you a'ight down there?" Victorious's cell mate asked.
2008, Treasure Hernandez, Resurrection, page 106:
- "Ayo, ma, where you going?" a dude asked her as she walked by him.
2008, Ashley JaQuavis, The Trophy Wife, page 103:
- "Ayo, Kalil!" a man's voice said from amidst the crowd. Kalil looked up and saw his lil' man, Peanut, distributing packets of heroin and taking money from the fiends.
2010, R Green Damon, Somethin' to Think about, page 197:
- "Ayo, Cee, listen to this shit here," said Matt, passing him his cell.
- (West African English) A strategy game.
- Obsolete spelling of āyoh.
- come on!
- Obsolete spelling of aio.
ayo m (plural ayos)
- aya f