Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also comparé
- (transitive) To assess the similarities and differences between two or more things ["to compare X with Y"]. Having made the comparison of X with Y, one might have found it similar to Y or different from Y.
- Compare the tiger's coloration with that of the zebra.
- You can't compare my problems and yours.
- (transitive) To declare two things to be similar in some respect ["to compare X to Y"].
- Astronomers have compared comets to dirty snowballs
- (transitive, grammar) To form the three degrees of comparison of (an adjective).
- We compare good as good, better, best
- (intransitive) To be similar (often used in the negative).
- A sapling and a fully-grown oak tree do not compare.
- (obsolete) To get; to obtain.
- To fill his bags, and richesse to compare.
to assess the similarities between two things or between one thing and another
to form the three degrees of comparison of
to be similar
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Related terms 
See also 
- first-person singular present indicative of comparer
- third-person singular present indicative of comparer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of comparer
- third-person singular present subjunctive of comparer
- second-person singular imperative of comparer
compare m (plural compari)
- third-person singular present indicative of comparire
- second-person singular present active imperative of compāreō
compare (infinitive comparar)
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of comparar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of comparar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of comparar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of comparar.