Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Dexterous; skillful; handy; ready; convenient; -- applied to things as persons.
(Can we date this quote?) Robynson, Utopia:
- That they [engines of war] be both easy to be carried and handsome to be moved and turned about.
- (of a man) Agreeable to the eye or to correct taste; having a pleasing appearance or expression; attractive.
- a handsome man; a handsome garment, house, tree, horse.
- (of a woman) Striking, impressive and elegantly proportioned, though not typically beautiful.
- Suitable or fit in action; marked with propriety and ease; graceful; becoming; appropriate.
- a handsome style, etc.
(Can we date this quote?) Felton,:
- Easiness and handsome address in writing.
- Evincing a becoming generosity or nobleness of character; liberal; generous.
- Handsome is as handsome does.
- Ample; moderately large.
- a handsome salary
(Can we date this quote?) V. Knox,:
- He . . . accumulated a handsome sum of money.
- Having a good appearance
2011 November 5, Phil Dawkes, “QPR 2 - 3 Man City”, BBC Sport:
- City have lapped up the plaudits this season for a series of handsome wins but manager Roberto Mancini has demanded that his side also learn to grind out results when they do not play well. He now has an example to point to.
- to do the handsome thing
- (agreeable, attractive, pleasing): pretty
of man: agreeable to the eye or to correct taste
of a woman: striking, impressive and elegantly proportioned, though not typically beautiful
marked with propriety and ease