Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
nowhere (not comparable)
- In no place.
- Nowhere did the rules say anything about popcorn.
- To no place.
- We sat in traffic, going nowhere.
in no place
to no place
nowhere (plural nowheres)
- No particular place, noplace.
- They went on a cruise to nowhere.
- 1912, Charles Inge, “Nemesis or Bad Luck?”, The Windsor magazine, volume 36, page 95:
- While they paced the platform of the station, they reviewed the career of misdemeanours—Nutley, Chiddiugstone, Midhurst, Penn, and many nowheres, and now Aylesbury.
- 1996 Oct, Indianapolis Monthly, volume 20, page 115:
- Oh, not the middle of nowhere like the rest of Indiana, but a nowhere so flat and ugly you want to lie down in a ditch and never get up again.
- 2005, Dave Finkelstein; Jack London, Philip Caputo, Greater Nowheres: Wanderings Across the Outback, page xxiv:
- But some Nowheres do still exist and are there to be found by any genuinely free spirit willing to hook a caravan behind his four-wheel-drive and dream, say, of finding that isolated campsite beside an as yet undiscovered waterhole