Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A pass entitling the holder to admission to a show, concert, etc.
- A pass entitling the holder to board a train, a bus, a plane, or other means of transportation
- A citation for a traffic violation.
- A permit to operate a machine on a construction site.
- A service request, used to track complaints or requests that an issue be handled. (Generally Internet Service Provider related).
- (informal) A list of candidates for an election, or a particular theme to a candidate's manifesto.
- Joe has joined the party's ticket for the county elections.
- Joe will be running on an anti-crime ticket.
- A solution to a problem; something that is needed.
- That's the ticket.
- I saw my first bike as my ticket to freedom.
1884, Mark Twain, chapter 34, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, ISBN 0-553-21079-3:
- "Here's the ticket. This hole's big enough for Jim to get through if we wrench off the board."
- (dated) A little note or notice.
- He constantly read his lectures twice a week for above forty years, giving notice of the time to his auditors in a ticket on the school doors.
- (dated) A tradesman's bill or account (hence the phrase on ticket and eventually on tick).
- J. Cotgrave
- Your courtier is mad to take up silks and velvets / On ticket for his mistress.
- J. Cotgrave
- A label affixed to goods to show their price or description.
- A certificate or token of a share in a lottery or other scheme for distributing money, goods, etc.
Terms derived from the noun "ticket"
admission to entertainment
pass for transportation
permit to operate machine
informal: list of candidates
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To issue someone a ticket, as for travel or for a violation of a local or traffic law.
to issue someone a ticket
ticket m (plural tickets)
- “ticket” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
ticket m (invariable)
- definite singular of tick