Jump to navigation Jump to search
- to take, seize, catch
- to catch sight of, meet with, find
- to gain possession of, obtain, receive, conceive, get, receive ("from" +ablative; "as" +accusative), recover ib.
- to gain the power of (doing anything), succeed in, be permitted or allowed to (+infinitive or dative)
- labhate draṣṭum, or darśanāya — he is able or allowed to see
- to possess, have
- to perceive, know, understand, learn, find out
- (passive voice) to be taken or caught or met with or found or got or obtained
- to be allowed or permitted (infinitive sometimes with passive sense)
- nā-dharmo labhyate kartum — injustice ought not to be done
- to follow, result
- to be comprehended by (+ablative)
- (causative) to cause to take or receive or obtain, give, bestow (generally with two accusatives; rarely with accusative and instrumental = to present with)
- to get, procure (compare लम्भित (lambhita))
- to find out, discover
- to cause to suffer
- (desiderative) to wish to seize or take or catch or obtain or receive (with accusative or genitive; "from" +ablative)
- Monier Williams, “लभते”, in A Sanskrit–English Dictionary, […], new edition, Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1899, OCLC 458052227, page 0896.
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary, 1884–1928, and First Supplement, 1933.
- ^ Douglas Harper, “lemma”, in Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2021.
- ^ Beekes, Robert S. P., Etymological Dictionary of Greek (Leiden Indo-European Etymological Dictionary Series; 10), with the assistance of Lucien van Beek, Leiden, Boston: Brill, 2010, →ISBN, page λαμβάνω