Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: -এই
-এ • (-e)
-এ • (-e)
- The marker of the ergative case with transitive verbs.
- locative suffix for some words
- বুধবাৰে ― budhbare ― on Wednesday
- একেবাৰে ― ekebare ― totally (literally, “at one time”)
- কাৰণে ― karone ― for (literally, “in reason”)
- মতে ― mote ― accordingly (literally, “in opinion”)
- বাহিৰে ― bahire ― except (literally, “in out”)
- মাজে মাজে ― maze maze ― occasionally (literally, “in middle in middle”)
- Synonym: -অত (-ot)
For personal pronouns without suffixes, the ergative marking is not used.
- For example,
- Here যাওঁ (zaü̃, “go (1st person)”) is intransitive and খাওঁ (khaü̃, “eat (1st person)”) is transitive, but the subject মই (moi, “I”) doesn't get the ergative marking.
- Here তহঁতে (tohõte, “you (plural, ergative)”) gets the ergative marking because it has the plural suffix -হঁত (-hõt). Other plural suffixes used in personal pronouns are: -লোক (-lük), -সকল (-xokol) etc and the non-plural honorific suffix -খেত (-khet) (used in তেখেত (tekhet), এখেত (ekhet)) also gets the marking.