A West Arabic numeral, ultimately from Indic numerals (compare Devanagari ५). See 5 § Evolution of the Arabic digit for more.
5 (prev 4, next 6)
- The cardinal number five.
- A digit in the decimal system of numbering, as well as octal, and hexadecimal.
- (phonetics, often superscript) the pitch of a tone, either high or low depending on local convention; '5' is most commonly the highest or lowest pitch (but see 6)
- Synonyms: ˥, ˩
- (phonetics, Sinosphere, often superscript) tone number 5, typically identified with dark departing yin qu (陰去)
- Synonym: ꜄
The following are equivalent forms as digits:
The following are only equivalent as representations of the cardinal number:
Other representations of 5:
5 (plural 5s)
- (sports, skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing) Clipping of 540. (540° spin)
五 (ng5, “five”) and 唔 (m4, “not”) are near homophones.
- (Hong Kong Cantonese, leetspeak) alternative form of 唔 (m4, “not”)