- (laughing out loud) lol, lawl, lel
- (lots of laughs) lols, LOLS
- (light-heartedness) lolsies, LOLsies, lolzies
- (?) lulz
- (Internet slang, text messaging) Laughing (or laugh) out loud.
- (Internet slang, text messaging) Lots of laughs. (occasionally used)
- (Internet slang, text messaging, by dilution) Indicates light-heartedness or amusement, or that the accompanying statement is not intended as serious.
- (letter-writing, dated) Lots of love.
- 2007, Adam Gopnik, Through the Children's Gate, →ISBN:
- Explaining how much I hated being away from him for another weekend, how I had to do it to pay for his school, for our life. Heartfelt, heart-full, I signed it "LOL, Dad.". Then a pause. And I see appearing on my screen these words. "Dad: what exactly do you think LOL means?" "Lots of Love, obviously," I replied.
- 2010, Keturah Wasler, Box of Chocolates: Piece from My Heart, →ISBN, page 20:
- The answer is in Job 40:7 to the end of the chapter, and 2 tim 2:11 thru 2:21. LOL, Dad Miscommunication: I was thinking he was laughing he didn't tell that was not true. An on-looker said he may mean lots of love. I asked and he didn't answer but he hugged me the next time he saw me for two seconds. Progress not perfection.
- 2011, Rhonda K. Kindig, Found in Translation, →ISBN, page 105:
- John 21:15, 16,17 Back in the fifties, when I used to write childish letters in long-hand to my grandmothers, I would delight in closing with LOL, by which I intended the sentiment "Lots of Love"! This was followed by "XOXOXOXO", which, of course, was hugs and kisses.
- 2014 May 28, Stuart Heritage, “25 years of LOL – the good and bad bits”, in The Guardian:
- One of the most famous examples of this misunderstanding came to prominence three years ago, thanks to a screengrab of this text message sent by a mother to her son: "Your great aunt just passed away. LOL".
expression of laughter
LOL (plural LOLs)
- (US, British commonwealth, Ireland) Loyal Orange Lodge, a prefix given to all branches of the Loyal Orange Order. For example, LOL 1 is Portadown branch.
- (informal, sometimes pejorative) Little old lady.
-  UK house of commons discussing a Loyal Orange Lodge.
For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:LOL.