This helps clear up the meaning of the photography sense:
- 1998, Copyright Law Symposium (of the American Society of Composers), page 392:
- […] the mechanized opening and closing of the shutter, the light's effect on silver halide film, and the process of "souping" the film to bring up negatives from which positive copies can be printed — […]
- 2010, Fedler, Joanne, When hungry, eat, page 303:
- Zed because he knew I was going to be horrible company as I souped in my sadness.
- There are also some very strange senses to be found on nondurable webpages... - -sche (discuss) 19:27, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
Rfv-sense x 4:
- To provide soup or a meal.
- To dine on soup, to eat soup.
- To soak up liquid or sauce from a dish with a piece of bread and eat it.
- (informal) To improve something by making it more powerful, elaborate or impressive (Cf. soup up)
The first three are plausible, but it would definitely be nice to know if they are current or dated or literary. The last informal sense may not exist apart from soup up. If it is deemed worthwhile, then we should make sure that this page has an etymology reflecting the "influence" of supercharge on this sense. DCDuring TALK 00:53, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
Does the obsolete meaning of "breathe out" listed at the bottom mean this word is a cognate with Ger. seufzen? 22.214.171.124 21:28, 12 October 2015 (UTC)