Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Acceptance; reception; favorable reception or regard; the state of being acceptable.
1676, Richard Hooker, Izaak Walton, “The Second Book of Eccleſiaſtical Polity”, in The Works of that Learned and Judicious Divine, Mr. Richard Hooker, in Eight Books of Eccleſiaſtical Polity, page 122:
- Finally, ſome things although not ſo required of neceſſity, that to leave them undone excludeth from Salvation, are notwithſtanding of so great dignity and acceptation with God, that moſt ample reward in Heaven is laid up for them.
- 1769, Oxford Standard text, King James Bible: 1 Timothy, i, 15,
- This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
- The meaning in which a word or expression is understood, or generally received.
The term is to be used according to its usual acceptation.
- Ready belief.
acceptation f (plural acceptations)