Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ədˈvɑːnst/
- Rhymes: -ɑːnst
- (US) IPA(key): /ədˈvænst/
- Rhymes: -ænst
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- simple past tense and past participle of
- At or close to the state of the art.
- with greater complexity, more difficult
- The option can be found under advanced settings.
- I'm taking a course in advanced knitting techniques.
- Having moved forward in time or space (e.g. advanced ignition timing).
- 1944 May and June, “When the Circle was Steam Operated”, in Railway Magazine, page 150:
- The length of the stoppages could not well be reduced; indeed, they are already too short if we are to believe the tale now current of a wandering Jew sort of passenger—a lady of advanced years who can only alight from a train backwards. Every time she begins to get out a porter rushes up crying "Hurry up, ma'am; train's going!"—and pushes her in again!
- In a late stage of development; greatly developed beyond an initial stage.
- This is an advanced prototype, it already has most of the features the final product will have.
- (phonetics) Pronounced farther to the front of the vocal tract.
- (Philippines, of a clock or watch) Indicating a time ahead of the correct time.
at or close to state of the art
enhanced — See also translations at enhanced
in a late stage of development; greatly developed beyond an initial stage