Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred).
- to appease the tumult of the ocean
- To come to terms with; to adapt to the demands of.
- They appeased the angry gods with burnt offerings.
- (reduce to a state of peace): calm, pacify, placate, quell, quiet, still, lull
- (come to terms with): mollify, propitiate
To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to still; to pacify
- appease in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- appease in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911