Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Bombardier
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌbɑm.bɝˈdɪɹ/, enPR: bäm'bûr-dĭrʹ
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌbɑːm.bɜːˈdɪə/, enPR: bäm'bə-dĭrʹ
- Rhymes: -ɪə(ɹ)
bombardier (plural bombardiers)
- (Canada, US) A bomber crew member who sights and releases bombs.
- (Canada, Britain) A non-commissioned officer rank in artillery, equivalent to corporal. Abbreviated Bdr.
- Wikipedia: Bombardier (Bdr) and Lance Bombardier (LBdr or L/Bdr) are British Army ranks used in the Royal Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery instead of (respectively) Corporal and Lance Corporal. In the Canadian Forces, the Artillery Branch uses the ranks of Master Bombardier and Bombardier instead of Master Corporal and Corporal.
- An artilleryman; a gunner.
1852, R. H. Major, Works Issued by the Hakluyt Society, translation of original by Sigismund von Herberstein, page 98:
- […] the officer to whom the command was deputed, to the amusement of a German bombardier, ordered one of the largest cannons to be placed under the gate of a fortress […]
- (entomology) A bombardier beetle.
bomber crew member
officer rank in artillery
- “bombardier” in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2004.
bombardier m (plural bombardiers)
- “bombardier” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Imperative singular of bombardieren.