Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Proto-Vietic *gəl ~ *kəl. Cognate with Central Vietnamese cân, Muong câl, cấl, Kha Phong kɨl². Related to cấy.
Various words with similar shape that have the meaning of "to fell trees" occur in many Austroasiatic branches, including Semai kòl, Temiar kel, Proto-Bahnaric *kal (whence Koho köl) and Proto-Katuic *kəl (whence Pacoh câl); all could be contributed to *kuəl ~ *kəl (“to cut down, fell”), which might be related to the root above. Alternatively, compare Proto-Khmuic *tŋkəl (“stump”) (whence Khmu [Cuang] tŋkɨl), Khmer គល់ (kŭəl), Mon ဓဂဵု.
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
Audio (Ho Chi Minh City) (file)
(classifier cái) cây • (核,荄,𣘃)
- a plant with a hard trunk or stem, such as a woody tree or bamboo, as opposed to cỏ (“(soft-stemmed) grass”)
- (by extension) a plant (including trees and grasses), or more rarely, a mushroom
- (colloquial) Short for cây số (“kilometre/kimometer”).
- Nhà tui cách Sài Gòn cỡ năm chục cây.
- My house is about fifty kilometres from Sài Gòn.
- Indicates plants
- Indicates stick/rod-like objects
- Synonym: thanh
- (music) Indicates string instruments and some other types of musical instruments
- Vietnamese terms inherited from Proto-Vietic
- Vietnamese terms derived from Proto-Vietic
- Vietnamese terms with IPA pronunciation
- Vietnamese terms with audio links
- Vietnamese nouns classified by cái
- Vietnamese lemmas
- Vietnamese nouns
- Vietnamese colloquialisms
- Vietnamese short forms
- Vietnamese terms with usage examples
- Vietnamese classifiers
- vi:Musical instruments
- vi:String instruments