Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "cai"
cái (Zhuyin ㄘㄞˊ)
- Pinyin transcription of 才, 纔
- Pinyin transcription of 材
- Pinyin transcription of 犲
- Pinyin transcription of 裁
- Pinyin transcription of 財, 财
- Pinyin transcription of 溨
- Pinyin transcription of 㒲
- Indicates an inanimate, tangible thing
- Cái răng cái tóc là góc con người.
- Essentially, teeth and hair tell how good one looks.
- Precedes another classifier (any one but “cái” itself), effectively acting as a focus marker, sometimes conveying a connotation of deprecation, especially if persons are referred to.
- Cái thằng đần thối này!
- Why you retarded moron!
- (only in compounds) a thing; a whatsit
- Synonym: đồ
- cái đánh trứng ― a whisk (literally, “the thing for whisking eggs”)
- cái đẹp ― beauty / the Beautiful (literally, “the beautiful thing / the thing of beauty”)
- cái cao cả ― greatness / grandeur / the Sublime (literally, “the great/grand(iose) thing”)
- the solid bits of a broth
- Canh này thì chỉ có nước là ngon, còn cái thì dở ẹc.
- Only the liquid part of this broth tastes good, the solid bits suck.
- (literally, “As for this broth, only the liquid part is good, as for its solid bits, they suck.”)
- (North Central Vietnam) cấy
- (of a non-human and non-avian species of animal or plant or their reproductive organs) female
- hoa cái ― an exclusively "female" flower, one that can bear fruit
- (now chiefly in compounds) big, large, main
- sông cái ― the big river
- ngón chân cái ― the big toe
- (Northern Vietnam) Title affixed to rural young girls' names.
- Cái Bống là cái bống bang
- Khéo sảy khéo sàng cho mẹ nấu cơm
- Mẹ Bống đi chợ đường trơn
- Bống ra gánh đỡ chạy cơn mưa ròng.