Jump to navigation Jump to search
big; great; huge
big; great; huge; large; major; wide; deep; oldest; eldest; doctor
|king; Wang (proper name)|
|simp. and trad.
- (figuratively) king (of)
- (card games) big joker
- (historical) monarch
- 屠羊說曰：「大王失國，非臣之罪，故不敢伏其誅；大王反國，非臣之功，故不敢當其賞。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Zhuangzi, circa 3rd – 2nd centuries BCE
- Tú yáng Yuè yuē: “Dàiwang shī guó, fēi chén zhī zuì, gù bùgǎn fú qí zhū; dàiwang fǎn guó, fēi chén zhī gōng, gù bùgǎn dāng qí shǎng.” [Pinyin]
- Yue said, 'It was not through any crime of mine that the king lost his kingdom, and therefore I did not dare to submit to the death (which would have been mine if I had remained in the capital). And it was not through any service of mine that he recovered his kingdom, and therefore I do not dare to count myself worthy of any reward from him.'
屠羊说曰：“大王失国，非臣之罪，故不敢伏其诛；大王反国，非臣之功，故不敢当其赏。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (historical, novel) ringleader
|Kanji in this term|
- (monarchy) a "great king" (used in the titles of or as the term of address for some kings, and also as a translation of English "the Great")
- Arekusandorosu Daiō
- Alexander the Great
- 2001 March 10 [Dec 16 1998], Katou, Motohiro, “ミネルヴァの梟 [Owl of Minerva]”, in Ｑ.Ｅ.Ｄ. 証明終了 [Q.E.D. Quod Erat Demonstrandum], volume 1 (fiction), 9th edition, Tokyo: Kodansha, →ISBN, page 102:
- Kurabu no kingu wa Makedonia no Arekusandā Daiō
- The king of clubs is Alexander the Great of Macedonia
- (monarchy) a "great prince" (used in the titles of some ruling princes)
- 大帝 (taitei)
- 2002, Ineko Kondō; Fumi Takano; Mary E Althaus; et. al., Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary, Third Edition, Tokyo: Shōgakukan, →ISBN.