Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: 盖
- KangXi: page 1051, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 31652
- Dae Jaweon: page 1513, character 9
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 5, page 3260, character 13
- Unihan data for U+84CB
|Historical forms of the character 蓋|
|Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
盍 is the original character for the “cover” sense. However, because this original character was borrowed to mean “why not”, the scope of senses for 蓋 expanded to include the “cover” sense (and its extended meanings).
- to cover; to conceal
- (figuratively) to cover up; to conceal
- (Min Nan) to put on; to apply
- to stamp; to affix (a seal)
- to overwhelm; to surpass
- to build; to construct
- to talk nonsense; to chatter; to brag; to boast; to bluff
- cover; cap; lid
- shell (of a turtle, crab, etc.)
- † thatch; straw mat
- † canopy
- (dialectal) excellent; fantastic
- (Zhangzhou and Taiwanese Hokkien, Southern Sixian Hakka) very
- 該係蓋久蓋久个以前，𠊎還蓋細蓋細个時節，𠊎還蓋細蓋細个時節 [Sixian Hakka, trad.]
- From: 2006, 林姿君, 匍背 (Hunchback)
- Te he koi kiú koi kiú e yî-chhièn, ngài hàn koi se koi se e sṳ̀-chiet, ngài hàn koi se koi se e sṳ̀-chiet [Pha̍k-fa-sṳ]
- That is a very, very long time ago, when I was still very, very small, when I was still very, very small.
该系盖久盖久个以前，𠊎还盖细盖细个时节，𠊎还盖细盖细个时节 [Sixian Hakka, simp.]
- † probably; roughly
- † for; because
- A surname.
Derived terms from 蓋
- 捂 (wǔ)
- † Alternative form of 盍 (hé, “to cover; to join together; thatch”).
- † Alternative form of 闔／阖 (hé, “door leaf”).
- (～邑) (historical) Ge (a city in the ancient state of Qi in modern-day Yishui County, Shandong)
- A surname.
- † Alternative form of 盍 (hé, “how; why”).
- † Alternative form of 盍 (hé, “why not”).
- 晉獻公將殺其世子申生，公子重耳謂之曰：「子蓋言子之志於公乎？」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Rites, circa 4th – 2nd century BCE
- Jìn Xiàn Gōng jiāng shā qí shì zǐ Shēnshēng, gōngzǐ Chóngěr wèi zhī yuē: “Zǐ hé yán zǐ zhī zhì yú gōng hū?” [Pinyin]
- Duke Xian of Jin, intending to put to death his heir-son Shen-sheng, another son, Chong-er, said to the latter, "Why do you not tell what is in your mind to the duke?"
晋献公将杀其世子申生，公子重耳谓之曰：“子盖言子之志于公乎？” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 子貢曰：「夫子之道至大也，故天下莫能容夫子。夫子蓋少貶焉？」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Records of the Grand Historian, by Sima Qian, circa 91 BCE
- Zǐgòng yuē: “Fūzǐ zhī dào zhì dà yě, gù tiānxià mò néng róng fūzǐ. Fūzǐ hé shǎo biǎn yān?” [Pinyin]
- Zigong said, "Master, your philosophy is the greatest, and thus no one in the world can accept you. Why do you, Master, not slightly lower your standards?"
子贡曰：“夫子之道至大也，故天下莫能容夫子。夫子盖少贬焉？” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- “Entry #10820”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- Go-on: かい (kai); ごう (gō)
- Kan-on: かい (kai); こう (kō)
- Kan’yō-on: がい (gai, Jōyō)
- Kun: ふた (futa, 蓋, Jōyō); けだし (kedashi, 蓋し); おおう (ōu, 蓋う); かさ (kasa, 蓋)
|Kanji in this term|
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text