Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɒbəbli/
- (Received Pronunciation, colloquial) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɒbli/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɑbəbli/
- (General American, colloquial) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɑbli/
Audio (US) (file)
- In all likelihood.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 1, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- “[…] the awfully hearty sort of Christmas cards that people do send to other people that they don't know at all well. You know. The kind that have mottoes […] . And then, when you see [the senders], you probably find that they are the most melancholy old folk with malignant diseases. […]”
2013 May-June, William E. Conner, “An Acoustic Arms Race”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 3, page 206-7:
- Earless ghost swift moths become “invisible” to echolocating bats by forming mating clusters close […] above vegetation and effectively blending into the clutter of echoes that the bat receives from the leaves and stems around them. Many insects probably use this strategy, which is a close analogy to crypsis in the visible world—camouflage and other methods for blending into one’s visual background.
- (in all likelihood): likely, perhaps, maybe, possibly, presumably, most likely, doubtless, in all probability, perchance, as likely as not, as like as not
in all likelihood