Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: may be
maybe (not comparable)
- Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty: it may be that...
- Maybe I was imagining it, but I could swear that the dog understood what I was saying.
- (as a pro-sentence) Perhaps that is true (expressing no commitment to a decision or a neutral viewpoint to a statement).
- (UK, meiosis) Certainly.
- Maybe not the best idea.
- Do not confuse maybe with the verb construction may be: "Maybe that's true", but "That may be true".
- (perhaps): mayhaps, peradventure, perhaps, possibly
- (as a pro-sentence): could be, mayhaps, might be, perhaps, possibly, that’s possible
indicating a lack of certainty
as a pro-sentence
- Possible; uncertain.
maybe (plural maybes)
- (informal) Something that is possibly true.
- (informal) An answer that shows neither agreement nor disagreement.
- The results of the poll were inconclusive. We got two yeses, three nos, and four maybes.
- (informal) A future event that may or may not happen.
- About your raise: it's a big maybe.