Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK, US) enPR: mā'bē, IPA(key): /ˈmeɪbi/, [ˈmeɪ̯bi]
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪbi
maybe (not comparable)
- Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty.
- (as a pro-sentence) perhaps that is true (expressing no commitment to a decision or a neutral viewpoint to a statement)
- Do not confuse maybe with the verb construction may be: "Maybe that's true", but "That may be true".
- (perhaps): mayhaps, peradventure, perhaps, possibly
- (as a pro-sentence): could be, mayhaps, might be, perhaps, possibly, that’s possible
indicating a lack of certainty
as a pro-sentence
maybe (plural maybes)
- (informal) Something that is possibly true.
- (informal) An answer that shows neither agreement nor disagreement.
- The results of the poll were inconclusive. We got two yeses, three nos, and four maybes.
- (informal) A future event that may or may not happen.
- About your raise: it's a big maybe.