Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
maybe; perhaps; might; possibly; or
|-ist, -er (person); person (who does sth)|
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): waak6 ze2
- Hakka (Pha̍k-fa-sṳ): fe̍t-chá
- Min Nan (POJ): he̍k-chiá
- Min Nan
- (classical) some people
- 或者於某集，我可抬頭欣賞到你；或者一轉念便要失去你；或者轉折漸太多，遺忘怎擁抱你；或者擁緊偏已斷氣。 [Literary Cantonese, trad.]
- 或者于某集，我可抬头欣赏到你；或者一转念便要失去你；或者转折渐太多，遗忘怎拥抱你；或者拥紧偏已断气。 [Literary Cantonese, simp.]
- From: 連續劇 by Joey Yung
- Waak6 ze2 jyu1 mau5 zaap6, ngo5 ho2 toi4 tau4 jan1 soeng2 dou3 nei5; waak6 ze2 jat1 zyun2 nim6 bin6 jiu3 sat1 heoi3 nei5; waak6 ze2 zyun2 zit3 zim6 taai3 do1, wai4 mong4 zam2 jung2 pou5 nei5; waak6 ze2 jung2 gan2 pin1 ji5 dyun6 hei3. [Jyutping]
- Maybe in a certain episode, I can lift my head up and admire you; maybe one second later I will lose you; maybe [I] have gone through too many things that [I] forgot how to embrace you; maybe [when I] hold [you] tightly, you have already breathed your last.
- In Mandarin, 或者 is exclusively used in statements, while 還是／还是 (háishì) is only used in questions.
- In Cantonese, 或者 is exclusively used in statements, while 抑或 (jik1 waak6) or 定係／定系 (ding6 hai6) is only used in questions.