Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (nautical) (of a ship's hoisting tackle) Having the blocks drawn close together so no further movement is possible, as when the tackle is hauled to the utmost.
- (by extension) Jammed tightly together; very crowded; completely filled or stuffed.
- Some of Sardinia's gorgeous seaside towns have lately been invaded by builders who erected chockablock housing that catered to middle-income tourists but threatened to spoil the landscape.
jammed tightly together, crowded
- In a crowded manner; as completely or closely as possible.
- His study had books stacked chockablock on every shelf.
- The meeting hall was chockablock full of angry citizens.
- 2012, The Economist, Oct 13th 2012, Free exchange: Concrete gains
- AMERICA is full of vast, empty spaces. Europe, by contrast, seems chock-a-block with humanity, its history shaped by a lack of continental elbowroom.