Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /kɹuθ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kɹuːθ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːθ
crwth (plural crwths)
- (music, historical) An archaic stringed instrument associated particularly with Wales, though once played widely in Europe, and characterized by a vaulted back and enough space for the player to stop each of the six strings on the fingerboard.
- 1910, The Encyclopedia Britannica, page 513
crwth m (plural crythau)
- (music) crwth; fiddle, violin, viol
- purring (of a cat)
- hump, hunch on the back, convexity; hunchback; hunchbacked, rounded, bent, convex
- anything of round or bulging shape, especially a vessel, basket, box
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- “crwth”, in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru Online (in Welsh), University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies, 2014