Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dependency (plural dependencies)
- A state of dependence; a refusal to exercise initiative.
- Something dependent on, or subordinate to, something else:
- A colony, or a territory subject to rule by an external power.
- A dependence on a habit-forming substance such as a drug or alcohol; addiction.
- (computing) Reliance on the functionality provided by some other, external component.
- This library has dependencies on a lot of other libraries. We have to compile all of those other libraries first.
- (computing) An external component whose functionality is relied on.
- One of this library's dependencies is very finicky. It can be hard to get it compile on some systems.
something dependent or subordinate to something else
a colony or similar territory subject to rule by an external power