Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈdaɪəpə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈdaɪpɚ/, /ˈdaɪəpɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪpə(ɹ)
diaper (plural diapers)
- A textile fabric having a diamond-shaped pattern formed by alternating directions of thread.
1890, Oscar Wilde, chapter XI, in The Picture of Dorian Gray:
- The orphreys were woven in a diaper of red and gold silk, and were starred with medallions of many saints and martyrs, among whom was St. Sebastian.
- A towel or napkin made from such fabric.
- Let one attend him with a silver basin, […] / Another bear the ewer, the third a diaper.
- (Canada, US) An absorbent garment worn by a baby, by a young child not yet toilet trained, or by an older person who is incontinent; a nappy.
- The diamond pattern associated with diaper textiles.
- Surface decoration of any sort which consists of the constant repetition of one or more simple figures or units of design evenly spaced.
absorbent garment worn by a baby, or by someone who is incontinent
- To put diapers on someone.
- Diapering a baby is something you have to learn fast.
- To draw flowers or figures, as upon cloth.
- If you diaper on folds.
To put diapers on someone