Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: adùlt
- (Received Pronunciation, General Australian, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈæd.ʌlt/, /ˈæd.əlt/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /əˈdʌlt/, /ˈæd.əlt/
- Rhymes: -ʌlt
adult (plural adults)
- A fully grown human or animal.
- 1840, Georges Cuvier, Edward Blyth, Robert Mudie, George Johnston, J.O. Westwood, “The fourth order of reptiles—The batrachians”, in Cuvier's Animal Kingdom, page 286:
- The young not only differs from the adult by the presence of its gills, but its feet are only developed by degrees, and in several genera there are also a deciduous beak and tail, and intestines of a different form
- A person who has reached the legal age of majority.
fully grown human
- Fully grown.
- an adult human, animal, or plant
- 1837, Michael Donovan, Domestic Economy: Human Food, Animal and Vegetable, page 86:
- The paws of the adult brown bear, and also their hams, especially when smoked, are considered a great delicacy.
- Intended for or restricted to adults rather than children due to size, maturity, knowledge level, judgement, etc.
- adult clothes; adult cereal; an adult documentary
- 1973, Marshall Kaplan, Gans, and Kahn, Children and the urban environment (page 21)
- In May 1967 the WGBH Education Division submitted an initial proposal to HUD for a series of four adult television documentaries on conservation in an urban environment.
- Containing situations or discussions intended primarily for adults, such as serious crime, illicit drug use, extramarital affairs, etc.
- adult situations; adult discussions
- (of a beverage) Containing alcohol, intended for consumption only by adults.
- an adult drink; an adult root beer float
- (of a cookie, gummy, etc.) Containing marijuana, intended for consumption only by adults.
- an adult cookie; adult gummy worms
- Containing material of an explicit sexual nature; of, or pertaining to, pornography.
- an adult movie
- This program contains adult content. Parental discretion is advised.
- Containing excessive vulgar or profane speech, text or images, intended only for adults.
- adult language; an adult cartoon
- (fully grown): big, fully grown, grown up; see also Thesaurus:full-grown
- (intended for adults): grown up; see also Thesaurus:adultlike or Thesaurus:for adults
- (containing explicit sexual material): pornographic, X-rated, XXX, XXXX; see also Thesaurus:pornographic
- (vulgar): blue, indecent, obscene, salacious; see also Thesaurus:obscene
terms derived from the adjective and noun
- adult actress
- adult baby
- adult beverage
- adult bookstore
- adult contemporary
- adult content
- adult education
- adult film
- adult learner
- adult material
- adult movie
- adult-onset diabetes
- adult respiratory distress syndrome
- adult shop
- adult star
- adult survivor
- adult third culture kid
- appropriate adult
- consenting adult
- new adult
- older adult
- young adult
intended for adults
- (intransitive, informal) To behave like an adult.
- (nonstandard, rare) To (cause to) be or become an adult.
- 1974, Occasional Papers, numbers 42-46, Syracuse University, page 5:
- Womanhood was achieved at twenty-one, when the female was "adulted"; manhood was fully achieved at twenty-five, […]
- 2013, Ewa Rewers, The Contradictions of Urban Art, →ISBN, page 84:
- The process of adulting children […] overlaps with the process of the uncontrolled infiltration of the media […] into children’s imagination.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:adult.
- “adult”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “adult”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- adult (fully grown)
- adult (fully grown person)
adult (strong nominative masculine singular adulter, not comparable)
- (medicine) adult
Positive forms of adult (uncomparable)
|number & gender||singular||plural|
|predicative||er ist adult||sie ist adult||es ist adult||sie sind adult|
(with definite article)
|nominative||der adulte||die adulte||das adulte||die adulten|
|genitive||des adulten||der adulten||des adulten||der adulten|
|dative||dem adulten||der adulten||dem adulten||den adulten|
|accusative||den adulten||die adulte||das adulte||die adulten|
(with indefinite article)
|nominative||ein adulter||eine adulte||ein adultes||(keine) adulten|
|genitive||eines adulten||einer adulten||eines adulten||(keiner) adulten|
|dative||einem adulten||einer adulten||einem adulten||(keinen) adulten|
|accusative||einen adulten||eine adulte||ein adultes||(keine) adulten|
Declension of adult