This etymology is incomplete. You can help Wiktionary by elaborating on the origins of this term.
Audio (US) (file)
- The act or process of expanding.
The expansion of metals and plastics in response to heat is well understood.
- The fractional change in unit length per unit length per unit temperature change.
- A new addition.
My new office is in the expansion behind the main building.
- A product to be used with a previous product.
This expansion requires the original game board.
- That which is expanded; expanse; extended surface.
- the starred expansion of the skies
- (steam engines) The operation of steam in a cylinder after its communication with the boiler has been cut off, by which it continues to exert pressure upon the moving piston.
- (act of expanding): contraction
Terms derived from expansion
act of expanding
fractional change in unit length per unit length per unit temperature change
product to be used with a previous product
expansion f (plural expansions)