Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Fanon
fanon (plural fanons)
- A vestment reserved only for the Pope for use during a pontifical Mass.
- Part of a bishop's mitre. They are the tabs extending down from the mitre, often with a cross near the end of each. See lappet.
- A maniple.
- (informal, fandom slang) Elements introduced by fans which are not in the official canon of a fictional world but are widely believed to be or treated as if canonical.
- Papal Fanon on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Fanon in fiction on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Fanon article at TV Tropes
- OED 2nd edition 1989
fanon m (plural fanons)
- dewlap (pendulous skin under the neck of an ox, lizard, or other animal)
- wattle (wrinkled fold of skin hanging from the neck of a turkey or other bird)
- baleen plate; (in the plural) baleen (bony material that makes up the plates in the mouth of a baleen whale)
- feather, feathering (long hair on the lower legs of a horse)
- (heraldry) bracelet on the right arm
- fanon (vestment reserved for the Pope)
- (chiefly in the plural) fanon (part of a bishops mitre)
- (by extension, chiefly in the plural) tabs on a banner or pennant
fanon f (plural fanons)