Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English surgerie, from Old French surgerie, from Latin chirurgia, from Ancient Greek χειρουργία (kheirourgía), from χείρ (kheír, “hand”) + ἔργον (érgon, “work”). Doublet of chirurgy.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɝd͡ʒəɹi/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɜːd͡ʒəɹi/
Audio (US) (file)
surgery (countable and uncountable, plural surgeries)
- (medicine) A procedure involving major incisions to remove, repair, or replace a part of a body.
- Surgery is often necessary to prevent cancer from spreading.
- (medicine) The medical specialty related to the performance of surgical procedures.
- A room or department where surgery is performed.
- 2006, Philip Ball, The Devil's Doctor, Arrow, page 51:
- The physician's proper place was in the library, not in the surgery.
- (Britain) A doctor's office.
- I dropped in on the surgery as I was passing to show the doctor my hemorrhoids.
- (Britain) Any arrangement where people arrive and wait for an interview with certain people, particularly a politician. cf. clinic.
- Our MP will be holding a surgery in the village hall on Tuesday.
- (finance, bankruptcy, slang) A pre-packaged bankruptcy or "quick bankruptcy".
- (topology) The production of a manifold by removing parts of one manifold and replacing them with corresponding parts of others.
- (by extension, figurative) Drastic changes made to anything.
- 2019, Ian Griffiths, Programming C# 8.0: Build Cloud, Web, and Desktop Applications, page 716:
- The C# compiler evidently performs some major surgery on your code each time you use the
- (procedure): operation, bright lights and cold steel (informal)
- (site of surgical operations): operating room, operating theatre, theatre, bright lights and cold steel (informal)
- (doctor's office): office (UK)
procedure involving major incisions
room or department where surgery is performed
doctor's consulting room
any consulting room
any arrangement where people arrive and wait for an interview with certain people, particularly a politician
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Surgery (disambiguation) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Alternative form of surgerie
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms derived from Old French
- English terms derived from Latin
- English terms derived from Ancient Greek
- English doublets
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with usage examples
- English terms with quotations
- British English
- English slang
- English informal terms
- Middle English lemmas
- Middle English nouns