Jump to navigation Jump to search
(countable) A single piece of a given material, elongated and roughly round in cross-section, often twisted with other fibres to form thread.
See also: fibré
- fiber (US)
- The microscope showed several different fibres stuck to the sole of the shoe.
- (uncountable) Material in the form of fibres.
- The cloth was made from strange, somewhat rough fibre.
- Dietary fibre.
- Fresh vegetables are a good source of fibre.
- Moral strength and resolve.
- 1900, Joseph Conrad, chapter 2, in Lord Jim:
- He was gentlemanly, steady, tractable, with a thorough knowledge of his duties; and in time, when yet very young, he became chief mate of a fine ship, without ever having been tested by those events of the sea that show in the light of day the inner worth of a man, the edge of his temper, and the fibre of his stuff; that reveal the quality of his resistance and the secret truth of his pretences, not only to others but also to himself.
- The ordeal was a test of everyone’s fibre.
- (mathematics) The preimage of a given point in the range of a map.
- Under this map, any two values in the fibre of a given point on the circle differ by 2π
- (category theory) Said to be of a morphism over a global element: The pullback of the said morphism along the said global element.
- (computing) A kind of lightweight thread of execution.
- A long tubular cell found in muscle tissue; myocyte.
single elongated piece of material
material in the form of fibres
dietary fibre — see dietary fibre
moral strength and reserve
mathematics: preimage of a given point in the range of a map
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
fibre c pl
fibre f (plural fibres)
- “fibre”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
fibre f pl
- plural of
fibre m pl