Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Firewall
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪə.wɔəl/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪ.əˌwɔːl/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪ(ə)ɹˌwɔl/, /ˈfaɪ(ə)ɹˌwɑl/
Audio (US) (file)
firewall (plural firewalls)
- (architecture) a fireproof barrier used to prevent the spread of fire between or through buildings, structures, electrical substation transformers, or within an aircraft or vehicle.
- (computer security) The software that monitors traffic in and out of a private network or a personal computer and allows or blocks such traffic depending on its perceived threat.
- (physics) A hypothetical phenomenon where an observer falling into a black hole encounters high-energy quanta at or near the event horizon.
- (transitive, computer security) To protect with a firewall.
- (transitive, computer security) To block with a firewall.
- (intransitive, motor vehicles or aircraft, slang) To use maximum acceleration.
firewall m or f (rare) (plural firewalls)
firewall m (plural firewalls)