Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
barrier (plural barriers)
- A structure that bars passage.
- An obstacle or impediment.
2013 June 1, “Towards the end of poverty”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 11:
- America’s poverty line is $63 a day for a family of four. In the richer parts of the emerging world $4 a day is the poverty barrier. But poverty’s scourge is fiercest below $1.25 ([…]): people below that level live lives that are poor, nasty, brutish and short.
- A boundary or limit.
- (grammar) A node (in government and binding theory) said to intervene between other nodes A and B if it is a potential governor for B, c-commands B, and does not c-command A.
- See also Wikisaurus:hindrance
structure that bars passage
obstacle or impediment
boundary or limit