Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Martial
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈmɑɹʃəl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmɑːʃəl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)ʃəl
- Homophone: marshal
- Of, relating to, or suggestive of war; warlike.
- But peaceful kings, o'er martial people set, / Each other's poise and counterbalance are.
- Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms or military life.
- (comparable) Characteristic of or befitting a warrior; having a military bearing; soldierly, soldierlike, warriorlike.
- (medicine, chemistry, obsolete) Relating to, or containing, iron; chalybeate.
- martial preparations
- martial flowers: a reddish crystalline salt of iron
terms derived from martial (adjective)
of, relating to, or suggestive of war; warlike
relating to or connected with the armed forces or military life
characteristic of or befitting a warrior
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked