Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
gateway (plural gateways)
- An entrance capable of being blocked by use of a gate.
- Any point that represents the beginning of a transition from one place or phase to another.
- A point at which freight moving from one territory to another is interchanged between transportation lines.
- (digital communications) In wireless internet, an access point with additional software capabilities such as providing NAT and DHCP, which may also provide VPN support, roaming, firewalls, various levels of security, etc.
- (digital communication): default gateway
point that represents the beginning of a transition
point at which freight is interchanged between transportation lines
computer network access point
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive, digital communications) To make available via a gateway, or access point.