Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhæp.ə.li/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈhæp.ə.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: aptly (in some h-dropping accents)
- In a happy or cheerful manner; with happiness.
- 1719 May 6 (Gregorian calendar), [Daniel Defoe], The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, […], 3rd edition, London: […] W[illiam] Taylor […], published 1719, →OCLC, page 311:
- And thus I have given the first part of a life of fortune and adventure, a life of Providence's chequer-work, and of a variety which the world will seldom be able to shew the like of: beginning foolishly, but closing much more happily than any part of it ever gave me leave so much as to hope for.
- By good chance; fortunately, successfully.
- With good will; in all happiness; willingly.
- Synonym: gladly
- I will happily help you look for your lost wallet.
- (archaic) By chance; perhaps.
- Synonym: haply
by good chance, fortunately
in a happy manner