Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: împinge
- (transitive, now rare) To make a physical impact (on); to collide, to crash (upon).
- (intransitive, figuratively) To interfere with; to encroach (on, upon).
2006 Summer, Keith R. Fisher, “Toward a Basal Tenth Amendment: A Riposte to National Bank Preemption of State Consumer Protection Laws”, in Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, volume 29, page 981-1034:
- It is astonishing that the meaning of a single declarative sentence enshrined in the Bill of Rights has evaded judicial construction establishing, at a minimum, some bedrock level of state sovereignty upon which the federal government can not impinge.
- (intransitive) To have an effect upon; to limit.
- The transitive use is less common, not included in many small dictionaries, and not favored by Garner's Modern American Usage (2009).
to make a physical impact on to collide, to crash (upon)
to interfere with