Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Ingress
Audio (US) (file)
- The act of entering.
- Permission to enter.
- All ingress was prohibited.
- A door or other means of entering.
- (astronomy) The entrance of the Moon into the shadow of the Earth in eclipses, or the Sun's entrance into a sign, etc.
act of entering
permission to enter
door or other means of entering
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (intransitive) To intrude or insert oneself
- (transitive, US, chiefly military) To enter (a specified location or area)
- 1976, The United States Air Force in Southeast Asia: Aces and Aerial Victories, page 108:
- "We ingressed North Vietnam over Cam Pha on a westerly heading," reported Captain Madden.
- (intransitive, astrology, of a planet) To enter into a zodiacal sign
- 1861 December 28, “Almanacs”, in All the Year Round, volume VI:
- The middle of March finds " Mars ingressing upon the 16th degree of Capricorn, where the sun has arrived in the nativity of Lord Palmerston," […]
- (Whiteheadian metaphysics) To manifest or cause to be manifested in the temporal world; to effect ingression
|Declension of ingress|